Procedures and Timetables
The Capstone essay is a two semester project, although the bulk of the writing will be done in the second semester. Assuming a fourteen-week semester, here is the schedule you will be following:
- Choose a topic and an advisor with whom you will work. Your advisor can be any member of the Irish Studies faculty. Once your advisor agrees to work with you s/he will sign a form which you must submit to the Irish Studies office by the end of the month. You should then meet with your advisor to work on developing your topic.
- Submit a formal topic proposal to your advisor. The proposal will be 1-2 pages long, accompanied by a preliminary bibliography. It must be signed by your advisor and filed at the Irish Studies off by the end of the semester.
- Register for the three-credit capstone course BEFORE the semester starts begins
- Begin meeting with your advisor at least twice a month (and ideally more often) to discuss your progress
- Turn in a complete draft to your advisor. Your advisor will then meet with you to discuss your draft, give you feedback, and make suggestions for revisions
- The final version of your essay must be submitted to the Irish Studies office and to your advisor